5 Ways Actor Training Can Create Successful Workplaces


1. Remaining Focused
Acting is a fast-paced industry that involves not only the actors themselves, but a large backstage crew as well. Everyone will have their own duties to tend to on set, which can be very distracting and even overwhelming for the inexperienced actor. Not unlike a busy workplace, a bustle of activity can throw anyone off if their mind is not trained to be laser-focused. Actor training confronts this exact issue by teaching actors the importance of staying true to their task at hand regardless of unexpected circumstances, all the while juggling a fine balance of just the right amount of flexibility. Needless to say, such a skill would enhance productivity and efficiency in the workplace.

2. Being Co-operative
It is commonly understood that only 20% of success is attributed to intelligence. The other 80% is believed to be the result of keen interpersonal relationship skills, which are of course rudimentary in teamwork. Disagreements are unavoidable in any setting, but it is absolutely possible to prevent their escalation into full-blown conflicts. As actors, we are very much reliant on our relationships with our cast mates and crew, and the ability to navigate through disagreements, although subtle, is instrumental in the overall health and success of any business.

3. Gaining Confidence
Confidence is vital for a successful performance both at work and on stage, as any sense of uncertainty may translate to others as a lack of trust in one’s own craft. If one does not trust oneself, how can others possibly do so? Confidence also makes for better decision making as a result of having faith in one’s own ability to reach the best outcome for all parties involved. Time is incredibly precious both in the business and acting industries, and self-doubt may lead to hesitation and the unnecessary stalling of time. While acting live, this definitely holds true as well; redundant pauses can come off as awkward and unnatural, so practising the art of self-confidence through actor training would certainly improve our overall ability to effectively weigh all our options in the shortest amount of time possible.
Interested in improv? Check out our Comedic Improvisation workshop at http://www.circlelinesmedia.com/meaa/programme-type/workshops/!

4. Transformative Thinking
In relation to how confidence aids quick and competent decision-making skills, a large part of improvisational theatre, thinking on one’s feet oftentimes leads to sudden insights that challenge convention, otherwise known as bursts of creativity. Creativity is an increasingly valuable attribute in the workplace as it sets you apart from the rest, defining the individual flavour that you bring to the table. It paves the road for forward-thinking and potentially progress of a community-wide scale. This is absolutely just as necessary in any business setting that is always looking to serve the constantly evolving needs of the public.

5. Accepting Feedback
The ability to accept honest feedback is an acquired skill; it requires a good level of confidence and eagerness to grow. If the ego is easily bruised, needless to say, this can hold one back from reaching one’s fullest potential. As actors, we learn that perfection is but an unattainable ideal, but that doesn’t mean we can’t try to come close. By accepting that true perfection is impossible, we begin to fully understand that there are always ways in which we can improve our craft, and hence not perceive unfavourable feedback as personal attacks, but inspiring new ways of growth. We learn that flaws are to be embraced rather than shunned, as long as they are worked on. Exercising this mindset as an actor can certainly benefit all other areas in life, particularly in corporate settings where feedback can get rather harsh.

For more information on acting and corporate training visit hcac.sg and follow HCAC on Instagram @hcac_sg  and Facebook www.facebook.com/HCACsg